Friday, October 27, 2017

Orphan Train!!

 Well, I had a big box of blocks, just saved from projects started and not finished, etc.  I am trying to downsize and consolidate, so I tried to put like blocks together, and want to get these quilts finished and on to new owners to enjoy!  Above, the heart blocks go together, of course!!  Plaids and plains...love these, for sure.
 I found eight 12 inch blocks.  If I can make 4 more blocks, they could make a patient quilt.
 And these bright blocks!  I tried to put these all together, in some cohesive manner...needs more thought and work!!
 I discovered enough 6 inch blocks of various kinds to make a sampler quilt.
 And also, enough 8 inch blocks to make another sampler quilt!  I think this was the Civil War sampler quilt, from some time back... maybe kind of a long time.
 Scattered through out the pile were 4 inch blocks...here.
And three inch blocks!!


So, do I scatter all these blocks throughout a big Orphan Train quilt?  Or...make a series of smaller quilts!??


I have no idea...but the heart are beckoning to me, as hearts always do.




Hugs to all!!


Julie

15 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I have been itching to get out my orphan blocks and play. You have some really great starts here!

Binsa said...

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your blocks Julie

Sue SA said...

I think it depends on if the colours go together as first priority and then try get the different sizes to fit eg you could put nine patches on point, that might size them up, not sure it will be to the size you need though!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

The ideas for those blocks will just 'suddenly' appear before your very eyes--either just as you are falling to sleep or just waking up--or as you are running out the door--
at least that is what happens to me--and even once in a while--I still remember the idea when I get to the sewing area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
enjoy the moments, di

Nancy said...

You are so prolific to have an abundance of orphan blocks, Julie. Your hearts are fun. I especially like your 7 sisters block and the fabrics and colors you chose to use. It will be interesting to see the quilts you create from these orphans.

gayle said...

After playing with the Gwennie QAL last year, and just finishing a Long Time Gone, I'm now a big fan of combining blocks of all shapes and sizes into one big happy top. It does seem to involve a certain amount of hair-pulling though... Good luck!

Tired Teacher said...

What a treasure trove of blocks. Personally, I'd put like sizes together simply for convenience.

Janet O. said...

The hearts will make a very cute quilt.
I'm sure not one of these blocks will go to waste in the long run. It will be fun to see what you create from them.

Kyle said...

Your creativity will start flowing and you'll have some great quilts to share.

WoolenSails said...

I have that problem too, too many started projects and I need to decide how to finish them.
Love the heart blocks, those are beautiful.

Debbie

KaHolly said...

Whatever you do will be perfect! I really should do the same. Maybe when I return in the spring. My fabric closet is kind of scary right now, and it’s spilling out all over the guest room floor. This and that and nothing that really goes together.

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh yes... an orphan train quilt would be fabulous!

Barb said...

If you made smaller quilts it would go faster but would make such an interesting orphan train quilt. I know, I am not help

Linda said...

What a great collection of orphan blocks and whole sets of blocks too. Love the heart ones. Can you remember how you made the frilly backgrounds to the hearts? They will make a lovely quilt.

UplayOnline said...

I'm sure not one of these blocks will go to waste in the long run. It will be fun to see what you create from them.


แคมฟรอก

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...