Monday, May 16, 2016

Log Cabin Lunacy...part two!!

 So!! There are so many fun variations of log cabin quilts!!! Here is another log cabin variation.  This one has little squares (gold) added to each strips of the block.  Adds more time, but I love the effect!  I have seen this done with red squares, and it is so pretty...this is on my guest room bed.
 These are all reproductions fabrics, and started from 1.5 inch strips, finishing at 1 inch.
Log cabin blocks can be made in so many different ways!!  Here are some I started last summer, after drooling over Lori's quilt, that I saw on her blog, Humble quilts.  I have a bunch of these made, but not put together yet.  Yet another variation!!



We have such a fun bunch of quilters that are joining in on Log Cabin Lunacy!!  So....every full Moon (Luna, get it?)  we will all show what we are doing, using our strips and scraps to make log cabin quilts!!  No rules, folks...this is just fun, mindless sewing...you can just show a bunch of strips or a pile of fabric, or your idea...or your finished quilt, or progress...or maybe this is just the thing to get you finishing your own log cabin quilt!  There will be some fun prizes and gifts along the way to add to the fun, too!  (does this mean that we are LOG CABIN LUNATICS? LOL!!)  or is that just me....hmmmmmm!


I will start a list of the side of my blog, for participants, linking to your blogs, so quilters can come and visit your blog.  It is going to be great fun!!!



Hugs to all, and hope you have a lovely day!!

Julie

18 comments:

Binsa said...

Hello Julie Log cabin is a longtime favourite pattern of mine love the quilt with the gold hugs lyn

Little Penpen said...

You amaze me with how much sewing and quilting you accomplish! Love your log cabins.

Julierose said...

I am a long time fan of log cabin blocks--sounds like a fun group--(LCL-ers--log cabin lunatics-- lol) . I'll have to get strip cutting....
I LOVE the little gold squared one--sooo pretty...hugs, Julierose

Nancy said...

Great idea for a sew a long. I wish I had time to join but will enjoy watching everyone’s progress.

Needled Mom said...

That is really beautiful. I love the gold in there.

Lori said...

I'm a fan of almost any log cabin variation!

Gayle said...

Yep, log cabins are definitely classic! I could probably make them the rest of my life and never repeat a single one!

Vic in NH said...

The reproduction fabrics are just glowing and I love the busy-ness of your neutrals! Count me in!

Chantal said...

I did saw a log cabin like that with red squares. It's the first time I see it with gold squares. Mmmm! It's so beautiful. It makes it spark. Love it. So, yes, I am ready ... I decided on the pattern and ... well I have to decide the colours now so I guess I am not ready yet ... but I am getting there lol. It'll be fun for sure. Thanks for organizing this Julie. ;^)

Kyle said...

You've made some great variation. We'll see if I can get started next month.

Janet O. said...

That is a gorgeous variation with the little gold squares!
And what a fun one in r/w/b with little stars. : )
You are delightful, Julie, so if that is lunacy we could all use more of it.

gayle said...

I started piecing a few blocks today, using 1.5" strips. No plan, just blocks. There's plenty of time for a plan... 8)

Me and My Stitches said...

I LOVE log cabin quilts - and the barn raising layout is my favorite, so of course I was instantly in love with yours. The gold squares are a really nice touch. I don't have time to join in on the lunacy right now, but you can bet I'm going to enjoy seeing what all of you come up with!

Linda O said...

Both of your versions are beautiful, Julie! The gold is such a beautiful touch, and those darling patriotic blocks!! I have a bunch of blocks made with 1 1/2" strips. Maybe I should dig them out as part of the lunacy and get them assembled!

Karen said...

Love log cabin quilts. The variety of settings is mind boggling if you start looking at different quilt books that feature the log cabin block. One book brought to mind was by Mary Ellen Hopkins.

Flickenstichlerin said...

Dear Julie,
wonderful log cabin variations, love the quilt on your guestbeed.
Greetings,
Sylvia

farmhousequilter8 said...

Julie can you share the Center of the Log Cabin with the star instructions or can you link to that exact page on Humble Quilts. I did not see that she had a search bar. Thanks Paula in KY

Richard Healey said...

Love the log cabins I keep telling my self I need to make one and just cant get my self to do it. Thanks for the inspiration.

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...