Friday, May 13, 2016

Log Cabin Lunacy!!!

 Hey y'all!!  ( that is what they say, down here in the south!)  How about some Log Cabin Lunacy!!!
 This is a log cabin quilt I made in the last couple of years.  It has 1/2 inch finished logs!  Lunacy, I tell ya!!
 It was super great fun, and used lots and lots of scraps.
 Here is the one of my very first quilts...also a log cabin!  It is pieced, then tied with extra  loft polyester batting and a sheet is the backing....hee hee!!  Around 1989...and everything had to match.  My oh my, how I have changed, LOL!!!  This quilt had been used almost to shreds.
 Then...I have, through the years, cut out tons of log cabin quilts!  They are all organized and ready to sew...and most have a sample block sewn, so I remember what I was thinking of at the time...
 Another one of those kits I made for myself...
 and currently!!!  These strips are all 1 and 1/4 inch wide...and I am making log cabin blocks from them...darks and lights, here.
I have red centers, and one light sewn on now...onward!!!


Here is a short history of Log Cabin quilts, and the story of the red centers in the old fashioned blocks.  My thanks to Karen Griska, for her following information about log cabin quilts.

http://www.quiltviews.com/log-cabin-quilts-a-short-history



So, I was thinking!!!  How would you like to join in, in this Log Cabin Lunacy!??  How about if we have a linky, on the Full Moon, of every month???  Luna means the moon...so hey, it will be fun to link up every Full Moon!!  The date for this month will be May 21st.


So!  Gather your strips and scraps, cut them to the width of the logs that you desire in your quilt...and let's go!!  You know you have lots of strings and scraps you want to use up...and this is pretty mindless sewing and just plain fun!!!  Pinterest is an endless source of inspiration for log cabin quilts, and also if you Google images of log cabin quilts, there are lots and lots!


Have a great day, everyone!!


Julie

22 comments:

Nancy said...

I love your scrappy log cabin with the little 1/2" logs, Julie. The more log cabin quilts I see, the more I realize how much better they are with narrow logs instead of the great wide ones. Yours is perfection.

Let me think about joining you for a Log Cabin Lunacy. I'd never made the connection with the words "lunacy," "luna," and moon. I knew luna is the word for moon, and I know people who work with people (nurses, social workers, etc.) tend to see more unusual behavior when there's a full moon, but I never made the connection. Fun information.

Take care and thanks for sharing,
Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Tired Teacher said...

Lovely log cabin quilts - a 1/2" finished strip, yikes!

I've never made a log cabin, so I'll consider joining the fun.

Linda O said...

Oh, Julie, another fantastic scrappy masterpiece! 1/2" logs?? Wow!!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Log cabin quilts are my go-to quilt. Alas, the strips I have are all wider than I would care to use for another log cabin quilt ... my goal has long been to make one using narrow strips ... very narrow strips. I have plenty of fabrics that would make a fabulous log cabin, so I can't rule out making another log cabin. All that is to say that I'm thinking about joining in. ;-)

Chantal said...

Me too! Me too! I want a beautiful log cabin. Gosh! Where will I find the time to do these blocks? Oh Julie! your idea is soooooo tempting. hehehe. Let me think about this .... uh Okay, I thought about it! Let's do this. lol
Love the one you made so many years ago and the newer one too. It will be fun.
;^)

Janet O. said...

Oh, my goodness, I LOVE your quilt with the tiny logs.
And how clever of you to make your own kits and have them ready and waiting. I especially like the way you include s sample block. I come across things sometimes and wonder what in the world I was planning. : )
I will enjoy watching the lunacy of all that join in.

mkhquilts said...


Awesome!!! I have not made a Log Cabin in several years. The last one I made was with varying widths of logs. Just have a light side and a dark side and red centers if you want. I used sizes from 1" to 2". and some were crooked pieces. then decide what size the blocks should be...8" is a good size. This was made as a charity quilt and I think it turned out pretty great...no photo...boo hoo! I think I just might do that again.

Missy Shay said...

I have one week of school left, so no time to sew this week, but I'll try to join in next month!

Julierose said...

Just lovely log cabins!! this month's QNM has a lovely old log cabin pictures; I will be making one for each of my twin grandsons; I never precut my strips into lengths--just strips--...hugs, Julierose

gayle said...

You had me at 'lunacy'...
Deal me in!

Panto Pam said...

I love me some scrappy log cabin blocks! I am currently making scrappy log cabin blocks from my 2" strip buckets and a Creative Grids Log Cabin Ruler.

Lori said...

So much lunacy and FUN! Such great quilt, julie!!

Julianne said...

Oh my, another project to start! Why is it that quilts always look so much better when the pieces are itty bitty tiny!!??? Lord knows I have scraps...I might just join in!

Vic in NH said...

Great looking log cabin!

Kyle said...

So have been cutting strips for years and have been wanting to get sewing, but continue to stale out. So maybe your lunacy challenge might just what I need. No time to start in May, but I'll give it a try for June! Great idea.

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

I love your log cabin quilts and your neatly organized strips ready to sew! I absolutely love log cabin quilts. I have made a bunch and also have a lot of blocks for different projects ready to finish! In my last blog post (in March) I have a photo of the little cabins I made with the one inch strips....soooo fun! I just might join in on this....really like the full moon and lunacy connection. In the nursing home....we could always tell when it was full moon with all the crazy behavior!!! Now that I am retired...I like reminders from working.

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh dear... you have inspired me today!
I have made a few log cabin quilts in my day, and I have a big one that needs a final push to get the top together.
This is just what I need to get going on it!
I love your tiny logs quilt! I think all of us tiny scrap lovers are lunatics :)

Jeanne said...

Sounds like fun! Love your little strips.

Sophie Zaugg said...

What a great idea ! I love log cabin quilts. Sophie @ LUNAlovequilts

Yvonne said...

And here I thought I was insane using 2 inch strips and squares as the smallest squares I use. I love love love the effect of using even smaller pieces. I must reconsider and think about going smaller.

Your quilts are gorgeous!

linda said...

The link is coming up as an invalid address. I am curious about your technique - are you cutting each piece separately or using long strips, sewing together and then cutting?

Kathy S. said...

These blocks are gorgeous! I'm always looking for a fun place for 1" strips. Thanks!

Hexies, rainbow quilts and plaids!

Good morning to all!!!  Above is a hexagon, for English paper piecing.  My kitten Lucky has discovered them, and decided that they are great...