Saturday, July 25, 2015

Using it up!!

 Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville recently had a eye opening-stash organizing experience, and she has spurred me to greater efforts to use up my own stash.  Even string stash, which I prize and hoard above even new yardage!!  Above are 100 string X blocks, (just the beginnings) and you can find the free pattern right .HERE.
 So thank you, Bonnie, this basket is almost empty now...this is the before the string blocks picture!!  Hurrah...don't you like my basket from the eighties?  I have used it, and used it, and used it!!
 These are some old pillowcases that my sister gave me.  Hand embroidered by my dear mother.  They are precious to me, and I love them!!  All out pillow cases were embroidered and embellished...thank you, Mom, for those precious memories.
 My son recently had an over seas trip and found a hand painted fan for me..love it, and thank you dear son!
In cleaning out my sister's home, in preparation for her move, she found some salt and pepper shakers of my mothers.  My mom collected them, and when she died, they were all wrapped carefully in newspapers of the time, and stored away. All this time, they have never been unwrapped, and they were recently taken out and unwrapped and admired.  This newspaper is dated 1977...the year my mom died.  These kids in the pictures were the ones I grew up with, from early childhood.  I loved reading the article from my small home town, and remembering those salt and peppers from my mom's collection.





Just some tidbits today...




Have a great day, every one!!

Julie

13 comments:

Sherrill said...

We did one or two of these quilts in our church quilt group. Might be time to revisit that pattern in a red/white/blue combo for a QOV. I'm on a QOV kick right now!! How sweet to have your mom's pillowcases and a beautiful fan from your boy.

AnnieO said...

Lovely to have remembrances of your mom you lost so long ago. I love the embroidered pillowcases.

Someday I may make string blocks but so far I haven't gotten that save every scrap fever!

Janet O. said...

How nice to have those remembrances of your Mom. Love the pillowcases. Have you heard of pillowcase dolls? My MIL took some of her embellished pillowcases and made those dolls for my daughters to sit on their beds. A sweet way to preserve the handiwork without wearing it out.
I have some of those baskets kicking around as well. And that black Thimbleberries fabric in your basket is the "constant" in the one string project UFO in my cupboard. : )

Leeanne said...

Another of your posts I enjoyed, I love reading your thoughts and experiences. What a find to have the old newspapers and those lovely pillowslips made by your mothers own hand.

Vic in NH said...

A lovely blend of old and new in this post. Your stack of string blocks are very inspiring, congratulations on getting that basket's load lighter!

Lesley said...

What a great idea for the string quilt and how special to have those pillowcases embroidered by your mom!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Memories are special. Glad you got to enjoy them.

Kyle said...

What wonderful tidbits this morning. Lots of sweet memories for you.

Sandy said...

Well Julie, you are the master of strips! Your strip quilts always turn out beautiful. Mine usuaaly turn into a big fat mess - lol!

Anonymous said...

Love your vintage pillowcases. Growing up, we had dresser scarves (does anybody besides me still use those?) that were hand embroidered by my mother. My favorite featured a lady with a billowing pink ruffled skirt that formed each end of the dresser scarf. I now have one of these draped on a shelf just behind my sewing machine. Makes me feel like my sweet mama is looking on while I sew.

A question about your String X blocks -- do you use a paper or muslin foundation and why?

Cindy in NC

Lilac Joan said...

I love tidbits. I loved your tidbits, too. I love old newspapers, too. But since I have lived as long as I have I hardly every fine one that is older than I am.

Tired Teacher said...

Bonnie's post was a great one, and it inspired me to get busy, too.

My mother embroidered pillowcases and dresser scarves, and I use them all the time. I love having a piece of her in my home.

Lois Arnold said...

I think we have all been inspired by Bonnie's "use it up" philosophy. Joyce, Diane and I are exchanging 2-1/2" squares to make tumbler quilts. I gifted them the rulers at our recent retreat at Joyce's "cabin in the woods". I had already been working on them, but the exchange idea came up and we just went for it. I am trying to use my voerflowing 1-1/2" strips and 2-1/2" strips in one of the American Patchwork and Quilting go four it quilts. I usually design my own stuff, but it's kind of fun to do something someone else designed even if I'm not using the same size squares and strips. My strings are more of a pile, but they have been calling my name. Love your string X parts. Maybe one of those is in my future! Hope you are having a creative sew day!

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...