Monday, September 15, 2008

Tobacco Rose!!

Above is a quilt I have had cooking in my head for years and years. I had purchased the fabric, and it just sat there, until Finn stimulated me to "giterdun"! So, Finn, this one is for you! I have worked pretty hard to get this one to the flimsy stage. It is applique on different backgrounds, and the border is my own, not from the pattern. Some of the strips look a little pale, so I am going to tea dye them, and they will blend right in. Just right for Autumn, and the weather is a little cooler, hinting of fall time to come.


Well, I am sure most of you have heard about Bonnie from Quiltville's "Old Tobacco Roads" mystery quilt. I was watching for each clue, trying to resist making this one...I have made each of her previous mystery quilts. Well, she really hooked me when I saw the wonderful flying geese border she made. So I started in on step one, which was a LOT of four patches! I was using pink, cream and browns, as I have always wanted to make a quilt in these colors. I made lots and lots...then got to playing with the setting! I did not have all the half square triangles she already had ready to use up, and sooo..I continued to work with what I would do! Would I make all those 1/2 square triangles, then make them into pinwheels? Apparently not! Below is the center of my own quilt..."Tobacco Rose"! This is the center, almost put together, then I will work on those fun flying geese borders. It is put together in much the same fashion as Bonnie's with diagonal rows. I know Bonnie encourages our own ideas and patterns, and this was my setting as I was playing with my squares. Can't wait to work on those borders!! Thank you to Bonnie for the inspiration...fun!!
Hope each of you has a most wonderful day...I am off to clean and cook dinner.
JulieK





23 comments:

Unknown said...

Both of your projects are absolutely lovely!! I have been watching Bonnie's mystery and love all of the one's that she has done. But I thought that since I was already working on one, I should complete it first. I love hers because they are scrappy and have lots of interest. Beautiful! I can't wait to see your borders!

Amelia said...

Two winners for sure...I agree tea dying will bring those light colors into matching with the rest of the colors.

Enjoy this week's blessings.

Amelia

Patti said...

You have been a busy girl! There's just something about quilts in fall colors this time of year that makes my heart sing. Your tops are certainly no exception. How very clever you are to change the designs so they are your own. What a great feeling of satisfaction you must have about now!

Vicki W said...

The first quilt is just beautiful! I love the colors that you are using for the Tobacco Road quilt.

Karen said...

Well done!!! I love the Tobacco Rose and the border looks great!

Pat said...

Julie, both of the quilts are lovely. You have been quite busy!

Teresa said...

WOW - I think you applique is just wonderful and will be so great during the fall season. I do like your version of the Tobacco road Mystery - colors, layout, overall affect - just wonderful!

tami said...

Wow those are gorgeous. You are on a roll.
I haven't had time to do any of Bonnie's mysteries, but I have them all bookmarked for when I have some time.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

I agree with Jackie...both are just so lovely....so rich, great job Julie...

dot said...

Both are lovely. I like tobacco rose.

Sue H said...

Both quilts are yummy! And they are so fitting to the season. Just beautiful.

Gina said...

I love both the quilts

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Texan said...

very pretty!!!!!!!!!!

Both are great projects... don't you love these cooler temps! Woowhoo after that 100 plus we had these are feeling great aren't they!

Libby said...

What a beautiful applique top - glad you found the inspiration to 'giterdun' *s*

Darcie said...

Your "Tobacco Rose" is darling! I think Bonnie will be very happy with your feeling comfortable in going outside her suggestions. Well done!

And your applique quilt is lovely! Very nice border treatment!!!

Finn said...

hey julie, both flimseys are just spectacular!! I love the one you finally DID for you and dedicated to me...*VBS* Thank you so much for that nice thought. It's gorgeous.
And I love that you found your own path with the mystery. That is just exaxctly what lots of us older quilts are about...making it YOUR quilt. That is priceless! Big hugs, stay safe and enjoy the upcoming autumn, Finn

Marilyn Robertson said...

Both of your quilts are beauties! I love the fabrics/colors you have used!

SueR said...

Wow, I love the colors and patterns in those two quilts! Just fabulous!

annapaola said...

ciao.
very very beautiful blog and excellent.. beautiful .. marvellous.. quilt.
sorry for my english.
ciao
ciao
anna paola Italy

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Your applique quilt is just gorgeous - I love the colors in both of your quilts. You certainly will be ready for fall.

The Calico Quilter said...

Love both, and the Oak Leaf and Reel applique is especially gorgeous.

So sorry about your ankle. Hope it's better soon.

MARCIE said...

Julie your quilts are wonderful! I love the applique and unique border. And the Tobacco Rose is beautiful! Nice combination of colors in both. Your Orange Crush turned out great! You are just whipping them out!

Nan said...

How I love both your projects! I like the lighter strips in your applique quilt - they makes it sparkle! I have yet to do one of Bonnie's mystery quilts, but each one turns out so well, I may have to get busy and make one!
Since I am far behind reading your blog, I'm hoping your ankle feels ever so much better now!

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...