Saturday, July 26, 2008

Good Afternoon, everyone. Have you seen these cute blocks? They are from "Art from the Heart". Each one is a BEE-attitude...and they are themed around the months of the year. And they are darling!! I love the way the snowman is reaching out for a hug. I am working on them now, and the above block is the first one. It is hand-blanket stitched around each piece, on a pieced background. The snowflakes are embroidered with thread, and beads are attached. I learned NOT to put the beads or buttons on until I am done quilting! So I will not put any embelishment on with the other blocks, until the quilting is finished. The letters are plaid...and the fabric came from my dear husband's old pajama bottoms! Recycling, right?!! These were just the most fun to work with.

Remeber the hand-dying with vegetable dyes experiment? Well, this piece has been washed several times, and still is a pale pink...that was fun! When I have time, I am going to experiment with some other colors and methods...stay tuned!
My work at the hospital is challenging lately...I have the dearest little old lady, in for over a month now...the physician's did a bypass and heart valve replacement yesterday. She is 81 years young, and she made it through the surgery! I just pray she does well with her recovery. I just love my sweet patients, and worry about them so.
My DH and I are getting new bikes! We have the oldest, and least expensive of the Murray brand, and we are not able to run for exercise any more, per MD orders. So we are biking! and having a ball. I can't wait to get my new bike! Should be so much fun.
Please have a wonderful weekend and hug the ones you love tight!
JulieK

17 comments:

Texan said...

Now how cute is that Block!!! I can't wait to see the rest of them!! I think that is so fun you are recycling your DH's PJ bottoms into the blocks that is just to good :O)...

New bikes that will be great fun and great exercise! I keep thinking about getting a bike. I would enjoy riding, ahem once this heat breaks...Hope you guys are staying cool over there.

Teresa said...

Hi Julie,
I am making this quilt too - but only in pastels. I am on the Be Patient block and have found that these blocks talk to me when I am working on them, reminding me to mind my attitudes. Good luck with yours. Mine is going slow as I am turning the raw edges under and doing the blanket stitch by hand.

Ali Honey said...

Hadn't seen that block, very cute. The bag you made is stunning well done, I love it.

Betsy said...

This is lovelt. Thank you for sharing the pattern name.

Darcie said...

Oooh...can't wait to see more blocks in the future! Your poor hubby...you did get him some new bottoms, didn't you Julie?! lol

Goodness...living in Texas, you may just run into Lance Armstrong on one of your treks! Wouldn't that be a moment to remember! Enjoy.

I haven't been at the computer much...but I do want you to know that I received your package, safe and sound! I'll keep in touch with you!

Quilter Kathy said...

I just finished making the same block! Aren't they fun!?!?
Great idea to recycle the pyjama fabric!!

Lyn said...

Hello Julie, I look forward to seeing the finished quilt. I spy a fabric that I have used in my Dear Jane Quilt.You have a good heart and I am sure your patients think the world of you.It takes a special person to do what you do!!!Warmest Regards Lyn

Janet said...

Hi Julie: What a sweet block - must have been fun to do. As for vegetable dyeing - way back at the dawn of time I used to dye my daughter's discoloured white socks that would no longer bleach out pure white using walnuts that fell from the trees in my backyard - a very longlasting dye that gave a tweedy light brown effect - needed no mordant or any additive - just the nuts still in their fleshy outer layer. Loved the picture of Abby the pup!
Janet

Marilyn Robertson said...

Such a cute block! Love the fabrics you have used, and the PJ fabric is just perfect! It will be fun to see the rest of your blocks.

Libby said...

The plaid pajamas are just the right touch *s* Can't wait to see more of your veggie dyes.

Debi said...

What an adorable snowman, and your block is gorgeous.

SuBee said...

He's so cute! I love that he's looking for a hug!
I hope your L.O.L. is recovering well - dang it; some of them get to you no matter how long the training. Thank goodness tho; I think those are the ones that keep us sane.

meggie said...

That block is wonderful!
Hope your weekend was nice.

Ginger Patches said...

I love those blocks, they had quite a few up in the booths at the Festival.
Good idea recycling :) Have fun with the new bikes!

Nan said...

That block is adorable! I think it's wonderful that you used hubby's flannel pjs, too.
Congrats on the new bike - I would get one if we had a safe place to ride. I miss bike riding!
The veggie dyed fabric looks great!

Finn said...

Its a darling of a block Julie! I just love it...couldn't be cuter no matter what! It will make an adorable quilt..very happy. Hugs, Finn

CJ said...

I have looked at that BeAttitude pattern/kit many times. I have never done applique to that extent. The only thing I appliqued was let's see about 19 years ago and all done by machine. Would this work with machine blanket stitch?? I am not much for hand work. Love to see your progress.

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...